Reference
Z609
Title
Records relating to Miss N E Manning's positition as a teacher at the Convent of the Holy Ghost School, Bedford, later St Bede's Middle School
Date free text
1959 - 1988
Production date
From: 1959 To: 1988
Admin/biog history
The Daughters of the Holy Ghost (DHG) were a teaching order of nuns based in Brittany. In the early 1900s nuns were sent to the UK to establish Catholic schools for girls. In Bedford, the nuns first settled in Lansdowne Road then in 1914 they took over the premises of the Crescent House Ladies’ College at 112-114 Bromham Road. This became the Convent of the Holy Ghost School, as well as the Bedford Convent. In 1958, the DHG acquired the former Manor House Hospital at Clapham Park, which became the main Bedford Convent, though some nuns continued to live at the School or nearby. The Convent School had a preparatory department (also admitting boys), called St Mary’s, at 118 Bromham Road (formerly Stamford House, a Bedford Modern School boarding house). The Convent School closed in 1974, and was replaced by St Bede’s Voluntary Aided RC Middle School, which itself closed in 2006.
Archival history
Gift from Miss N E Manning, Kempston, on 20 November 1987
Level of description
fonds