• Reference
    QSH
  • Title
    Sessions House or Shire Hall
  • Scope and Content
    THE SHIRE HALL It was not till 1752 that a Shire Hall or Sessions House was planned for Bedfordshire. There was no full-time county staff:- the Clerk of the Peace and the Under-Sheriff were both practising attorneys who fitted in sessions and shrievalty with work in their respective private practices. Quarter Sessions met in Bedford at the Swan, or in Luton at the George, or at inns elsewhere in the county. Assizes were held in Herne Chapel. But by 1752 it was beginning to be thought that a permanent building would be preferable, especially if the borough of Bedford would co-operate; for the Guildhall on the crowded St. Paul's Square, which was used for borough sessions and meetings, was small and old. The first plan was to pull down the borough Guildhall and rebuild on its site; and the Town Council on 23 March resolved to give 'His Grace the Duke of Bedford and other the subscribers' leave to do this. But the old site among the butchers' shops would not give sufficient room without clearance round it, and clearance would provoke opposition and involve expense. No doubt the Duke would help with the cost, but the borough was nervous of ducal favours. It seemed better to decide on property for sale on the south side of the square, a house and brewhouse which had been the Castle Inn in the time of Simon Beckett (d.1711)*. While public subscriptions were coming in, the Duke on 23 May advanced the necessary 500 for the whole site, of which a small part was sold off to Thomas Woodward for 90. On 11 June the Duke conveyed it to 18 county and 4 borough justices of the peace, in trust to be used for assizes, for town and county quarter sessions, for Bedford petty sessions, and for such other lawful purposes as the trustees might think fit. Among the trustees was always to be the heir to the Duke of Bedford in possession of Woburn Abbey. The building erected in 1753 had a Georgian facade, and when the Free School nearby was refaced in 1767 they harmonised well. The architect may have been Thomas Moore, who writes from Woburn Abbey, and who was at this time making alterations to the County Gaol. There was no authority to spend public money on such a building. The Duke subscribed a further 500 guineas and nearly 200 other persons in town and county gave sums varying from 10 shillings to 100. Parry, writing in 1827, describes it as 'very plain, and no ornament to the town'. Matthiason in 1831 calls it 'a neat-looking stone building - however rather heavy in its general proportions.' Inside, he says, was 'a spacious hall of lofty altitude occupying the whole depth of the building', (it ran north-south and was about 51' x 26') with a portrait of Samuel Whitbread, M.P. 'On each side it communicates by doors with the adjoining wings, of which one is used as the civil (20' x 29') and the other the criminal court (20' x 48'). A spacious and handsome room for the use of the grand jury has lately been added'; but the courts, he says, are too confined to allow sufficient public access, and the friends or relatives of the accused are found 'weeping and lamenting' in nearby public-houses. He adds that as Sessions House was 'the only house of public assembly in the town', it was 'a place of general public business and frequently of amusement, being well adapted for assemblies, lectures etc.' Sessions records show instances of this varied use. When it served as a theatre, repairs and cleaning were required; Negus Eston, carpenter, in 1785 had to mend 'seats and floors and forms when the players went away', and Thomas Empey cleaned the windows 'after the players' **. In 1780 it cost 2s. 'mending forms and Winscoat after the Election'. The worst offenders were the Militia, who seem to have used it for a drill-hall; they had to make way for assizes; 1781 'my Self and man at Sessions House mending winscoat and Tabels when the Malatia went a way for the Asizessis' ***. In 1803, the year of the Napoleonic invasion scare, special permission was given to the Bedford Volunteers 'to assemble in the Shire Hall during the Winter Evenings for the Purpose of being drilled in the Manual and Platoon Exercise' on account of 'the Necessity that every Volunteer should as speedily as possible be made acquainted with the Use of Arms,' and the officers were to make good any damage. Bunyan Meeting had permission to worship at Sessions House when the Old Meeting was under repair in 1806. But when Col. Osborn wanted to give a dinner party for his friends in 1818 some justices of the peace wrote to Theed Pearse saying that they 'most decidedly protested against its being used for such a purpose.' For about 100 years the Sessions House served both country and borough, and the old Guildhall was pulled down when the Town improvement Commissioners cleared St. Paul's Square. With the mid-19th century more began to be required. Moreover an act of 1826 had empowered Quarter Sessions to use public money for altering or rebuilding Shire Halls. The attorneys complained in 1828 that the judge kept their door closed, and they could not get in and out of court. A record room and prisoners' room were added in 1844. When Theed Pearse junior, whose office was in the adjoining house, died in 1857, it was obviously desirable to buy it. Some justices began to demand a new building, in particular T.C. Higgins and Henry Littledale, but they succeeded only in getting minor alterations in 1858. It took another 20 years, and then the Luton Board of Guardians deprecated a new building at a time of depression. It was Mr. Justice Denman in 1877 who set the ball rolling: he complained of 'the foetid and unwholesome state of the courts - the accommodation for the bar is not worthy of the county of Bedford'. He engaged a room elsewhere to serve as an indictment office, and (through the Under-Sheriff) presented the bill. The first steps were tentative. The County Surveyor, William Watson, brought out plans for improvement. Two justices (Sir John Burgoyne and J. N. Foster) had second thoughts in the following January, for some alterations to local Government were even then anticipated; but the majority, led by C. Magniac and W. B. Higgins (who died later in the year) were not to be restrained. The Town Council passed a resolution deploring the Shire Hall's 'inadequate appearance'. A new site by the prison was suggested, but found impracticable; but No. 6 St. Paul's Square was secured. A list was drawn up of what was required: courts, justices' meeting-rooms, Clerk of the Peace office, accommodation for the borough, judge's lodgings, and room for the police; and in March 1878 it was decided to approach Alfred Waterhouse of London (among his buildings are the Prudential Offices in Holborn, the Natural History Museum in South Kensington, and Manchester Town Hall). The new accommodation required was to be built at the back of the old premises. Waterhouse did not like the limitations: 'the building would of course lack all architectural appearance towards St. Paul's Square, and the offices could hardly be so convenient - as if they were rebuilt'. Still he worked quickly. He took particular trouble with the internal arrangement of the courts, and many comments were made by the legal gentlemen concerned. They were based on his experience at Durham 'slightly altered from the Manchester courts'. His plans, estimated to cost 17,000, were submitted at Michaelmas Sessions and approved, subject to modifications of details. For tender they were exhibited in a room set apart, with a couple of the special bricks and a piece of red terra cotta - some London builders came down by early train. A Leeds firm, John Wood & Son, succeeded with a tender for 13,485 (the actual cost was 16,622). The new Gothic assize courts rose behind the Georgian building. Now the justices were in full career. At Michaelmas Sessions 1880 they once more presented that the Shire Hall was inadequate. A Committee was appointed to proceed further; and one imagines that Waterhouse was happy at last. By sweeping away the old building in its entirety, and by making the axis of his entrance area east-west instead of north-south, he was able to use the full width of the site for a spacious baronial hall, 60 x 30', with subsidiary rooms opening off it. The judge's lodgings he intended to build on the site of No. 6, St. Paul's Square. The Gothic facade was to be 'of red brick, red terra cotta dressings and covered with Broseley tiles or with green Westmorland slates.' He added a third storey 'which in my opinion is certainly wanted to give the building dignity and interest.' The judge's lodgings were sacrificed to economy. But in 1881 the old Sessions House crumbled into dust; the rubble came in useful as foundations, and Waterhouse used some of the wrought Ketton stone in the windows of his new entrance hall. The cost, certified by his usual mediaeval-type certificates, was 7,769. A curious feature is that over the porch appears the borough coat of arms; he asked for the county arms, but there were none. The furniture and fittings of the entire rebuilding were in keeping. Even the clockcases in the courts, and the coal-scuttles and fire-screens in the committee rooms, and the lamp-posts on the pavement outside were brought into line. 'All these things, though little in themselves, go to make up the character of the work as a whole.' The old furniture was sold at the Corn Exchange by Henry Pulley for 35. The new furniture cost 1,000. On Waterhouse's style opinions will differ. Functionally his work, for the assignment he was given, was very good. Unfortunately that assignment was out of date within a decade. The warning voices raised in 1878 had been right. In 1888 the Local Government Act set up County Councils. Existing county buildings were transferred to a Standing Joint Committee of Quarter Sessions and County Council (the borough continued to share the use of the courts). At first the Clerk of the Council engaged such assistants as he required, and it was possible for a few years to accommodate them in a building not meant for them, till a small extension was built in 1899. Gradually, as highways, education and other duties were transferred to or created for the new authority, pressure mounted on the Shire Hall for purposes never dreamed of in 1878. Thus the director of education pleaded in 1906: 'Two rooms at least are necessary - a clerks' office and a private office where interviews can be had without the presence of a third (and, as it often happens, a fourth) person;' and the chief constable complained 'I have the use of a small cupboard in the lavatory room, and two more rooms in the passage, one of fair size with a sink and water laid on, which is used by the inspector of food and drugs.' The education department was housed in No. 6 (bought originally for the unbuilt judge's lodgings). More of the south side of St. Paul's Square was bought up:- No. 5 in 1908; No. 4 in 1918; Nos. 1 - 3 in 1934; the Girls' Modern School in 1939. The Council outgrew the room which had been planned as a grand jury room; and Council Chamber and education offices were built in 1910 (Architects: H. P. Adams and C. Holden), No. 6 being demolished; and a treasurer's department (Architect: S. C. Jury) in 1926. Again a new Shire Hall was planned to rationalise this agglomeration. A competition was arranged, and the winning design was by O. P. Milne. It was in the style of Stockholm Town Hall. Storms of controversy broke out. The 1939-45 war shelved all such hopes. With peace still more duties were laid on the County Council, which overflowed into High Street, St. Peter's Street, Bromham Road, London Road, Cauldwell Street, St. Mary's Street, the north of St. Paul's Square, Gadsby Street and The Embankment. Now at last a new County Hall is in being. * See Corporation minute books for 23 March 1751/2: "It is ordered and agreed that leave be given to His Grace the Duke of Bedford and other the Subscribers for the County Shire Houses, to erect a Shire House, Town Hall & Council Chamber in that place where the Town Hall and Council Chamber belonging to this Corporation now Stand: And the Corporation will be the Purchasers of the Houses, Shops & Stalls upon the ground, as the Plan mentions, provided it may be attain'd at a reasonable purchase." A Committee of the whole Council was to treat with the proprietors and lessees of the ground to be purchased. ** QSM 18, p.35 (Mich.Sess.1785) 'Ordered that no stage-players be permitted to act in the Sessions House.' *** QSM 19,p.55 (Mids. Sessions 1793) 'It is ordered .... that the Sessions House be not made use of as a Guard Room or place of arms or for the accommodation of any soldiers serving in the army or militia or for players or for the exhibiting of any show or spectacle, and that the Hallkeeper do not upon any account part with the key to any person or give admittance for the above purposes. Ordered that John Symonds, carpenter, the Hallkeeper, and no other person do take up and replace the benches and tables where necessary for any public meeting'. SHIRE HALL - Appendix: (a) Entrance hall. This is the nucleus of the property. It was formerly owned by the Beckett family, after whom Beckett Court is named, and who provided more than one Mayor. In the early 18th century it was the Castle Inn. This was bought, largely with the help of the Duke of Bedford, by public subscription in 1752 for 410; and the Sessions House was built on it under a deed of trust in 1753. It was at first planned in 1878 to retain the old Sessions House, when new assize courts were built behind it; but on second thoughts it was pulled down in 1882 and the present entrace hall built on its site. (b) Courts. This land was in the 17th century a tanyard. When the river was opened to navigation by lighters at the end of the century it became a coalyard. The house nearby on the site of the present no. 7 was owned and occupied by the Wodwards, whose brewery adjoined, and later by the Belshams and Sir William Long. Long built himself a new house at Kempston, and sold this house to Dr John Brereton, headmaster of Bedford School, who may have used it 1732-44 as an overflow boarding house, for it was occupied by the Rev Charles Brereton, perhaps his son. Then it was acquired by Theed Pearse, Clerk of the Peace (who himself lived at Rye Close) for one of his sons; and he built for himself offices behind the Sessions House. When he died, his trustees sold the offices at the read of Sessions House to the county in 1859 for 1,790, but they retained the house (now occupied by London & Lancashire) . His offices were pulled down in 1878 when the courts were built. NB Theed Pearse must have been related to William Theed, whose wharf is marked further W on Jeffreys' 1765 map. Theed took over this wharf from Robert Battison, coal merhcant, whose name is currupted in Batt's Ford. He was treasurer for the county 1750 - 93. His wharf was then taken over by another coal merchant, William Watkins, who also succeeded him as treasurer.
  • Level of description
    sub-fonds